If you can’t attend ONA22 in person in Los Angeles, you don’t have to let “FOMO” sink in! We are offering a number of ways to join the learning and networking remotely. Read on for a daily schedule and details on networking, our conference podcast, celebrating award-winning work and more.
Virtual Conference Passes provide access to livestreams and live chats of select sessions (listed in this post), a searchable directory of all in-person and virtual attendees to kickstart your networking and three-month access to audio and video archives.
The passes are $250 for ONA members and $425 for non-members. Students can purchase a virtual pass for $100, regardless of membership.
Sessions available virtually
Here’s day-by-day look at sessions that are available to join remotely in real time. Live-streamed sessions will also have a video recording afterward.
Wednesday, Sept. 21
2:30 p.m. PDT: Multiplatform Storytelling 101
Special thanks to our ONA22 sponsors.
Thursday, Sept. 22
11:30 a.m. PDT:
- FEATURED Inclusive and Equitable News Spaces are the Future: Four Methods To Get You Started Now
- 22 Lessons for the 2022 Midterms
- Fire Your Bosses: How Workers Relaunched The Appeal
- Context For Crisis: Navigating Journalism Through Uncertainty
2:30 p.m. PDT:
- FEATURED Listening to People Who Don’t Trust You To Reach New Audiences
- What News Orgs Are Getting Wrong About Social Media
- Vision25: Pay Equity Series Part Three
- Syndication Without Tears: Best Practices in a Distributed World
4 p.m. PDT:
- FEATURED Minimizing Misinformation: Conveying Legitimacy in Your Election Coverage
- Leadership Spotlight: What’s Next in Digital Journalism From ONA Board Candidates Voting open through Oct. 3!
- More Than Words on the Wall: Drafting and Implementing Strong Operating Principles
- How a Fellowship Can Build Capacity and Spur Innovation for Your Newsroom
Friday, Sept. 23
10 a.m. PDT: The Science Behind Representation in Storytelling
10:30 a.m. PDT: [BLANK] Is the Future of Journalism Returns!
1 p.m. PDT: Newsletters as Product and Journalism
2:30 p.m. PDT:
- FEATURED TikTok, Creator-Journalists, and News on the #FYP
- So You Want To Start a Newsroom?
- Interviewing Your Own Newsroom: How an Internal Listening Tour Can Help You Craft a Roadmap for Change
Saturday, Sept. 24
11:30 a.m. PDT:
- FEATURED For-Profit, Non-Profit, Or Both?
- Automating Local News: How We Built it, What We Learned
- Building the Newsroom Management Framework of the Future, Right Now
- Avoiding Burnout: Make Well-being a Priority While Being An Amazing Journalist Virtual-only
- Understanding and Engaging With Your Audience on Twitter
2:30 p.m. PDT:
- Fact Checks-on-Demand: Scalable or Pipe dream?
- Fighting Dis/Misinformation With BIPOC-Owned and -Serving Community News
- How To Follow the Money at Nonprofit Organizations (And Why it Matters) Virtual-only
- Clips or It Didn’t Happen — Delivering the News with Viral Video
4 p.m. PDT:
- Build an Audio Production House on a Shoestring Budget
- CMS Show and Tell: Improving Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Accessibility
Visit the Networking Center on the ONA22 event platform and mobile app to browse a searchable directory of all in-person and virtual attendees. You can search by name or filter by interests such as audience development, DEI or podcasts. You can also set your profile to reflect if you are open to connecting, and message other attendees one-on-one.
To connect with any of ONA22 sponsors, recruiters or supporting organizations, visit the Exhibit Hall section of the event platform to find their virtual booths and contacts, or search by industry filters such as social media or mobile tools.
Many organizations with profiles on the platform are recruiting. Use the Resume Drop if you are looking for a new career opportunity. Recruiters participating in ONA22 will review resumes and reach out to potential candidates with more information.
ONA on Air
Honoring the best in digital journalism
We are announcing winners of the 2022 Online Journalism Awards from Sept. 21-24, through pre-recorded video announcements at 1 p.m. PDT each day and culminating in a special presentation on Saturday, Sept. 24, live from Los Angeles from 7:40 p.m. PDT.
Cheer for your peers and favorite projects using the hashtag #OJA22.
- Follow @ONAconf and @ONA on Twitter for updates from the ONA team.
- The ONA22 Audio Team is using Twitter Spaces on @ONAConf to deliver brief daily highlights. Tune in each day at 9 a.m. PDT.
- Use the hashtag #ONA22 to share your conference highlights and #OJA22 for the Online Journalism Awards.
- Session-specific hashtags are noted on the ONA22 schedule.
- Follow @ONANewsroom for stories by the 2022 Student Newsroom and Innovation Lab
- Check out the ONA Facebook Group and the #ONA22 channel on the ONA Slack for more opportunities to connect with the ONA community and others joining the conference.
Student Newsroom and Innovation Lab
Catching up beyond conference week
Planned video and audio recordings are clearly marked on the schedule. In short: Live-streamed sessions will also have a video recording afterward; plus, we will provide audio recordings for most of the other sessions a couple of weeks after ONA22.
The video and audio archives will be available to registered attendees through the event platform until at least Dec. 16, 2022.
Subscribe to the ONA Weekly newsletter for more updates from ONA beyond the conference. We offer many opportunities to get involved in ONA’s year-round programming and connect with digital journalism communities around the world.