In an effort to create more stable and equitable workplaces, journalists are increasingly unionizing their newsrooms to push for change. But what happens when the storyline changes?
This in-depth and engaging conversation uncovers how The Appeal went from unionizing and a management shutdown to relaunching as a worker-led nonprofit in less than six months. Hear from newsroom leaders about what it (really!) takes to launch a startup and build values of transparency, solidarity, and care into everything from editorial strategy to compensation. Participants will leave with a top-level guide to starting a newsroom and a template for making more inclusive decisions in their workplaces.
- Fire Your Bosses: How Workers Relaunched The Appeal presentation
- The Appeal's Guide on How to Launch a Newsroom
- The Appeal's Decision-making Template
This session is designed for:
- Journalists involved in their union or are thinking of unionizing their newsroom
- Leaders and managers who want to create more supportive and inclusive environments
- Anyone interested in nonprofit news or launching a media startup
Director of Legal & Strategy, The Appeal