Congratulations to the 20 students selected for the ONA22 Student Newsroom and Innovation Lab!
Since 2009, the student newsroom has provided undergraduate and graduate students the unique opportunity to work with experienced mentors in an immersive digital media environment during the annual Online News Association Conference.
This year’s newsroom includes:
- Gabriella Allen, American University
- Maximillian Boudreaux, University of Michigan-Dearborn
- Jordan D. Brown, Morgan State University
- Carolyn Burt, California State University, Northridge
- Jireh Deng, CSU Long Beach
- Pamela Elizarraras Acitores, University of the Arts London: London College of Communication
- Hazel Feldstein, Oberlin College
- Jessica Galvin, University of Massachusetts Amherst
- Jacqueline GaNun, University of Georgia
- Sydney Gold, Syracuse University
- Chelsea Healy, University of California Los Angeles
- Mercedes Hesselroth, Houghton University
- Kyle Morrison, Seattle Pacific University
- Sydney Lewis, University of Missouri
- Kamille Little, University of Maryland Eastern Shore
- Long Nguyen, Georgetown University
- Gabbie Puzon, California State University, Northridge
- Aarohi Sheth, University of Southern California
- Kiana Stevenson, Clark Atlanta University
- Robert Tucker II, Florida Agricultural & Mechanical University
Students will build digital storytelling skills in the fast-paced newsroom as they produce multimedia content, experiment with a variety of tools and create their own news products. Students also receive scholarships that cover their conference registration, travel and boarding. Throughout the week, they will gain valuable insight into the industry through the conference programming and networking with other attendees.
The newsroom mentors
We are thrilled to have a talented group of professionals volunteering to guide the newsroom. Mentors include journalism educators, digital strategists, audio specialists and executives. Longtime mentors Michelle Johnson, Emerita Associate Professor of the Practice, Journalism, at Boston University, and Peg Achterman, Associate Professor of Communication & Journalism, at Seattle Pacific University, are leading the group. Get to know all mentors.
Digital journalism’s favorite annual reunion is in Los Angeles on Sept. 21–24. Register now for ONA22.