If you’d like additional information not presented here, contact the ONA team anytime by emailing email@example.com.
We want to assure you that the safety and well-being of the ONA community is our top priority. Our safety protocols informed by COVID-19 guidance from multiple sources, including the County of Los Angeles Department of Public Health, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), professional certification training, association-specific resources and in consultation with events and public health experts.
- July 27, 2022 updates reflected new mask requirements and provided more detailed information on receptions
- August 24, 2022 updates encouraged attendees to perform home testing, clarified that health screenings will happen daily, and added language around self-reporting positive cases
- September 6, 2022 updates encouraged attendees able to get a bivalent booster to do so
- September 13, 2022 update provides details on acceptable proof of vaccination and what questions to expect at the daily health check.
COVID-19 vaccines and boosters:
- You must be fully vaccinated (final dose + at least two weeks’ time) to attend in person. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you need to switch your registration from in-person to virtual-only.
- Acceptable proof of COVID-19 vaccination include a vaccine record card (e.g. card issued by CDC, WHO, or a health care provider) and government-approved digital vaccination record (e.g. CDPH, VaxYes, CLEAR Health Pass). Review all options in detail.
- Global availability and requirements for booster shots varies. We ask that you follow your local recommendations on getting booster shots before attending ONA22. For those residing in the U.S., here is the current CDC guidance on booster shots.
- NEW: Those living in the United States, and possibly some other countries, may have access to “bivalent” booster shots. These include protection against the original strain of COVID-19 and the most recent omicron variants, BA.4 and BA.5. If you’re able to get a booster shot before joining us in Los Angeles, this can help limit the spread of the most common COVID-19 variants.
If you have any questions about our guidance around vaccinations or boosters, contact email@example.com.
- Well-fitting face masks that cover your nose and mouth are required at all indoor events and programming, except when actively eating or drinking. Participants are strongly encouraged to wear KN95, KF94s or N95s, or procedure (a.k.a. surgical) masks with at least three layers of fabric during the event. For reference, the CDC updated their face coverings website on January 14, 2022.
- We ask that participants honor requests from staff, presenters, volunteers or other participants to adjust your mask to fit over your nose and mouth if it has slipped down or you forget to pull it up after taking a drink or bite.
- At their discretion, presenters may remove their masks, meaning if someone is presenting information to the room, they may remove their mask to be clearly heard.
- We strongly encourage a self-test within 48 hours of your first day at ONA22. Some people receive a positive test result before showing symptoms, so tests are a critical way of helping to reduce the spread of COVID-19.
- Daily self-testing is strongly encouraged. We will provide self-test kits on request.
- For all participants: if you receive a positive self-test or PCR test, OR have been in close contact with someone with COVID within five days of the event, please do not attend ONA22. We can convert your ticket to a virtual ticket and refund the difference, or we can refund you in full.
- We will ask that participants proceed immediately to the registration area on arrival (during posted registration hours) each day of ONA22. You will proceed through a health screening checkpoint to show proof of vaccination. We will also ask participants to confirm they are not experiencing symptoms each day they attend ONA22 (i.e., you will go through a daily health screening to enter the event).
- Be prepared: Review the acceptable proof of vaccination and screening questions.
- Attendees may remove masks for outdoor activities, including the Welcome Party on Thursday, Sept. 21
- Please note for your own comfort level that during peak crowds, it may be difficult to keep a full six feet of distance between participants.
Indoor receptions, meals and the Online Journalism Awards Reception, Banquet and Ceremony:
- Well-fitting face masks that cover your nose and mouth are required except when actively eating or drinking.
- For your own comfort level, please note that during meal and reception times, determining if someone is “actively” eating or drinking is not always easy to discern. Attendee masks may be down for extended periods of time. We ask that you gauge your own comfort level for attending these events, and use reasonable judgment when reminding others to pull their masks up.
Reporting positive cases
If you test positive at any time during or immediately after attending, ONA22, we request that attendees do the following:
- Voluntarily let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org – this email is forwarded to Chief Knowledge Officer Trevor Knoblich and Director of Programs Meghan Murphy. We will keep your personal details private. Knowing when there are positive cases helps us both track volume of spread, and determine communications needs.
- Report your case to local public health departments. This helps officials track total case load.
- Voluntarily let anyone you were in close contact know, so that they may begin monitoring themselves.
Inclement weather plans
- For events scheduled outdoors, we do have backup space to move them indoors. This would mean attendees would be required to wear well-fitting face masks that cover your nose and mouth except when actively eating or drinking.
Will I need to sign a COVID-19 waiver?
During registration, participants will agree to the COVID-19 Safety Acknowledgement and Liability Waiver:
By registering to attend and by attending ONA22 as an in-person attendee, you are doing so voluntarily and agree to assume all risk associated with attending this event, including potential exposure to COVID-19, as permitted by applicable law. You also agree to comply with all applicable federal, state, and local laws, orders and guidance, as well as ONA’s and the venue’s rules and regulations, pertaining to COVID-19 health and safety.
We will continue to update this page periodically as we better understand what additional requirements or procedures will be in place for those participating in ONA22 in person.
If you have any questions, feedback or concerns, contact email@example.com.
What are the registration rates?
You can find detailed registration rates for in-person and virtual participation on our registration page. The page also covers information about how registration supports ONA, group discounts and other details.
How is newsroom size determined so that I know which rate to sign up for?
For ONA22, choose your size category based on the total number of your organization’s full-time or equivalent employees who work on producing news, even indirectly, including ad sales reps, technical staff and/or a business development department. You can find more information on our registration page.
Do you offer any assistance with registration costs?
Yes! We are excited to be able to offer a variety of registration scholarships, with an application deadline of July 15. We also offer many volunteer opportunities, which allow you to register for ONA22 at no cost. Visit our opportunities page to learn more about these and other options.
Does my registration include a ticket to the Online Journalism Awards Banquet and Ceremony?
No. Attending the OJA banquet requires a separate ticket. You can purchase a ticket at the same time as registration. If you don’t purchase your ticket at the same time as your registration, there will be another opportunity to buy one closer to conference time.
Can I update my registration information?
Yes! We’ll send an email closer to conference time inviting you to check in to your ONA22 account, where you’ll be able to update your profile information and other details.
What is the registration refund and transfer policy?
We understand plans can change. If you can’t attend ONA22, we’ll do our best to support you and are grateful for your support of ONA. All refunds and transfers for ONA22 registrations must be requested by Sept. 9, 2022.
After that date, we will work to accommodate medical or health emergencies, including COVID-19 exposure, upon request. We will honor refund requests due to emergencies, including COVID-19 exposure, through Sept. 30, 2022.
Starting Aug. 1, registration refunds and transfers will incur a $75 administrative fee. There is no fee for a student registration refund or a registration transfer. Review the full policy and how to request a refund or transfer.
How does ONA handle attendee information?
Information gathered from attendees during registration helps us see trends and patterns, as well as plan programming, networking activities and events. ONA does not sell attendee contact information and we work to keep your contact information secure. Read more about how we handle guest information.
Will ONA help me with my visa application to travel to ONA22?
If you require a U.S. visa to attend ONA22, you may request a confirmation of registration document only after you have completed registration for the conference and paid the conference registration fee, if applicable.
Email your request to firstname.lastname@example.org and include your complete name, mailing address and any other details your country of residence requires for your visa application. ONA is not able to contact or intervene with any embassy or consulate office abroad on your behalf.
If your visa application is not approved or you are otherwise unable to attend ONA22, your registration and/or OJA banquet ticket purchase will be refunded in full and you will not incur an administrative fee. Request a registration refund or transfer.
Does ONA give complimentary registration to media covering the event?
Since ONA is an event for journalists, we do not offer press passes. There are several opportunities to get involved with ONA22 and receive complimentary registration, including through fellowships, scholarships , and volunteering. See all ONA22 opportunities and subscribe to the ONA22 newsletter for updates.
Who is ONA22 for? What topics will the conference cover?
As the premier gathering of highly engaged digital journalists who are shaping the future of media, ONA’s annual conference is a global journalism festival offering interactive panels, workshops and networking events with some of the most innovative minds in digital news media, including audience and analytics professionals, news product, strategy and business executives and entrepreneurs.
Our participants range from experienced veterans at international news outlets to representatives from major tech companies to leaders of local news startups to those just getting started in their media careers.
Topics the conference will focus on include:
- Audience development and metrics
- Emerging technology
- Innovative news storytelling
- Leadership and culture
- Product and revenue strategies
Do I need to RSVP for each individual session once I’m registered for the conference?
For most sessions, you do not need to RSVP if you’ve already registered for ONA22. Please be aware popular sessions may fill up, so plan to arrive early if you need to be in a particular session.
Meal events, both in-person and virtual, required an RSVP so we can have an accurate head count and because seating is limited. Please be sure to RSVP as soon as possible for those, they will sell out quickly.
What’s the difference between the in-person and virtual experience?
ONA22 will offer paid options for both in-person and virtual attendance. We are making every effort to provide a rich experience for those attending in either method, across sessions and workshops.
In-person attendees will have access to:
- Four days of face-to-face networking with the ONA community.
- Access to all sessions and the opportunity to attend select RSVP-required workshops in-person.
- Online access to all digital components of the conference and the ability to network with all attendants, including those only participating virtually.
- Access to all digital reference materials and resources.
- Access to audio and video archives of the event after the conference ends at least until Dec. 15, 2022 (three months).
- Direct connections with sponsors, supporters and recruiters, both in-person and virtually.
Virtual-only attendees will have access to:
- Livestreams of eight to 12 sessions each day of ONA22 clearly marked on the schedule.
- Web-based chatting, note-taking and networking with other ONA22 attendees participating virtually from around the world, as well as those onsite in L.A.
- Access to all digital reference materials and resources.
- Access to audio and video archives of the event after the conference ends at least until Dec. 16, 2022 (three months).
- Direct connections with sponsors, supporters and recruiters.
How will ONA choose which sessions are livestreamed or recorded?
We plan to stream the three most popular sessions at any given time, as well as sponsored sessions from our partners. These are marked on our schedule with a video screen icon. Other sessions will have an audio archive posted after the conference, and these are marked with a speaker icon. Please know that any unanticipated technical difficulties may make it impossible for us to stream or create audio archives.
How do I participate in ONA22 online?
We’ll send an email closer to conference time inviting you to check in to your ONA22 account and we’ll guide you from there.
What bandwidth / hardware needs will ONA22 online require?
We recommend a laptop or desktop with the latest version of Google Chrome or Firefox and a strong wireless or hard-wired internet connection for the best possible experience, including the ability to stream video. Your experience will likely be okay on a mobile tablet as the event platform is browser-based, but a smartphone will not provide a quality experience.
Will I be on screen for ONA22 online? Should I be concerned about privacy, how I look or what I’m wearing?
You will be off-screen while viewing sessions or chatting by text.
What should I wear at ONA22 in Los Angeles?
Beyond common sense attire for a hotel setting in Los Angeles in September, there’s no set dress code. Most attendees dress business casual, including jeans in many cases. Comfortable shoes are a must for walking through the large hotel space.
The Welcome Reception for all participants will be held outside on the pool deck in the evening, which has a tendency to feel windy and may feel more comfortable with an extra layer.
People tend to dress up more for the Online Journalism Awards Banquet and Ceremony. We’ve noticed guests tend to change into attire we’d call “business sharp” in honor of the prestigious evening, though this is not a requirement from ONA. It is not a black tie or otherwise formal event.
What wifi is available in the conference areas?
Wifi access is included with your conference registration. You will receive a password when you check in at the registration desk. Attendees are often trying to connect with multiple devices, so like any conference, we do experience latency / outages from time to time that we work quickly to resolve.
What wifi is available in my hotel room?
The Westin Bonaventure offers complimentary wifi to guests staying at ONA’s discounted rate. If you book at our special rate before sellout, you’ll have wifi included in your room free of charge.
What is this third-party email about discounted hotel room rates?
Exhibitor/Attendee Housing Scam Notice: At past events, we’ve been notified that several exhibitors and conference attendees have received calls and/or emails from companies claiming to be an agent of, or associated with, ONA and offering discounted room rates. We do not have a relationship with any of these companies. All bookings should be made directly with our host hotel. Read more on this issue.
I am a sponsor and I have questions!
We have answers for you here.
Click here for information on deadlines, registration, order forms and other details for all ONA22 sponsors, exhibitors and recruiters.