For over a decade, the Student Newsroom and Innovation Lab at ONA’s annual conference has helped undergraduate and graduate students learn and thrive in an immersive digital media environment.
This program wouldn’t be possible without the dedication of volunteer mentors. Before and during the conference, these professional mentors provide hands-on guidance as students pursue their story ideas, experiment with digital tools and deliver timely coverage of the conference.
We are excited to introduce the mentors who will join the ONA22 newsroom in Los Angeles:
- Co-lead: Michelle Johnson, Emerita Associate Professor of the Practice, Journalism • Boston University
- Co-lead: Peg Achterman, Associate Professor of Communication & Journalism • Seattle Pacific University
- Lillian Agosto, Founder and editor • Mundos Paralelos
- Taylor Blatchford, Engagement Reporter • The Seattle Times
- Chelsea Cirruzzo, Reporter • Axios
- Joni Deutsch, Vice President of Podcasting • The Podglomerate
- Kyleah Dunn, Content Strategy Analyst • Gannett
- Mion Edwards, Researcher • NBC News (TODAY Show Digital)
- Steve Fox, Senior Lecturer • UMass Journalism Department
- Jaya Franklin, Interim Director of Communications • Georgia State University College of Law
- Julie Garcia, Senior Communications Associate • Baylor College of Medicine
- David Grewe, Associate Professor of Visual Communications • California State University, Northridge
- Erin Haluschak, Editor/Podcast producer • Black Press Media
- Megan Kearney, Digital Producer • The 19th News
- Gretchen Macchiarella, Assistant Professor • California State University, Northridge
- Matt Sheehan, Managing Director, Center for Public Interest Communications and senior lecturer of journalism • University of Florida
- Kristyn Wellesley, Content Director – Digital • Orlando Sentinel
- Kate Winkle, Digital Director • KXAN
- Madeleine White, Podcast producer • The Globe and Mail
Student applications to join the newsroom are due Thursday, June 23, 11:59 p.m. EDT. Selected students will receive an expenses-paid trip to Los Angeles, plus complimentary ONA22 passes and tickets to the 2022 Online Journalism Awards Ceremony.
Special thanks to the Content Authenticity Initiative for their support of the ONA22 Student Newsroom and Innovation Lab.